Black Legal Action Centre (BLAC)
The Black Legal Action Centre is seeking a full-time Office Manager.
The Black Legal Action Centre (BLAC) is a not-for-profit corporation incorporated under the laws of Ontario to combat individual and systemic anti-Black racism by providing legal services to members of Ontario's Black communities, including engaging in advocacy, community development, law reform, test case litigation, and public legal education. BLAC is an independent, non-profit community legal clinic funded by Legal Aid Ontario (LAO) and governed by a volunteer Board of Directors.
Job title: Office Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
PURPOSE OF POSITION
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Office Manager assists with the planning, development and implementation of clinic services and the management of clinic finances. The Office Manager provides direct administrative support to the Executive Director and the Board of Directors and is responsible for the day-to-day administration of clinic services and for decision-making with respect to office administration.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Board of Directors
- Provide all support work necessary to meet the organizational and administrative needs of the Board of Directors, including delivering correspondence, preparing draft minutes for review, and following up on action items
- Coordinate and prepare materials for Board Meetings
- Attend Board meetings, as required
- Provide regular reports (e.g. statistical, financial, personnel) to BLAC's funders
- Ensure implementation of and compliance with all office policies, procedures and protocols
- Design and maintain BLAC's internal filing systems; Define procedures for retention, protection, retrieval, transfer, and disposal of records
- Ensure that the physical premises of the clinic, including all office equipment, is maintained
- Manage contract and price negotiations with office vendors, service providers and office lease
- Liaise with facility management vendors, including cleaning, catering and security services
- Review and approve supply requisitions
- Process payroll and bank deposits
- Help prepare annual budgets, including project budgets
- With BLAC's Bookkeeper, ensure that invoices are paid, account books are accurate and up-to-date and that financial reports are made in a timely manner
- Maintain accurate financial records to assist with preparations for BLAC's annual audit
- Assist with recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees
- Manage personnel files with respect to such things as employment contracts, benefit packages, pension plans, vacation schedules, records of sick leave, and lieu time
- Assist with coaching, counselling, and disciplining employees
- Supervise the work of support staff
- Address employees queries regarding office management issues (e.g. stationery, hardware and travel arrangements)
Information Technology (IT)
- Provide expertise and advice on IT issues that affect operations, including direction to staff regarding IT changes or disruptions
- Provide direction regarding outsourced and/or in-house IT systems, including specialized case management
- Website maintenance
Strategic Planning, Fundraising and Development
- Help organize fundraising activities; help prepare grant proposals
- Facilitate and coordinate the strategic planning process
- Plan and implement resource, management, IT and administrative initiatives to support strategic plan
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- Experience as an office manager, front office manager or administrative assistant
- Knowledge of office administrator responsibilities, systems and procedures
- Experience with and understanding of not-for-profit organizations
- Excellent written and verbal communication ability
- IT troubleshooting skills
- Knowledge of accounting and/or financial management
- Ability to utilize analytical, interpretive, evaluative and constructive thinking
- Planning, organizing, and project management skills
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Strong interpersonal skills focused on building and maintaining positive relationships
- Proficiency in MS Office (MS Excel and MS Outlook, in particular)
- Familiarity with email scheduling tools
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills
Salary will be based on relevant experience, and be within the range of average salaries of Office Managers of other LAO-funded clinics.
If you require any accommodation during the interview process please contact BLAC firstname.lastname@example.org to make appropriate arrangements.
We welcome applications from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve.
Please apply via e-mail with a cover letter and resume by Friday, September 28, 2018 to: email@example.com. Please use the subject title "Office Manager" in your email.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.