Tenant Duty Counsel
Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO)
Job title: Tenant Duty Counsel
Assignment: 6 month contract position, commencing October 1, 2018 (start date negotiable) to March 31, 2019.
Reports to: Supervisory Duty Counsel, Tenant Duty Counsel Program (TDCP) of the Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO)
Provide summary legal services to tenants appearing before the Landlord & Tenant Board (LTB) at locations in the GTA.
Main duties of the job:
- Provide summary legal services to tenants, including legal advice and information, assistance with negotiation and mediation, document preparation, and referrals and limited representation before the LTB.
- Participate in public legal education sessions, trainings, consultations, and meetings of the ACTO Tenant Duty Counsel team in the GTA.
- Participate in regular training sessions for Tenant Duty Counsel across the province.
- Travel to provide services at different locations of the LTB in Toronto and Mississauga.
- Preparation of statistical and other reports as may be required by the Supervisory Duty Counsel.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Supervisory Duty Counsel.
Required skills & experiences:
- Law Society of Ontario membership (Lawyer designation only) in good standing.
- Experience before administrative tribunals, including preferably experience before the Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal and/or Landlord and Tenant Board.
- Knowledge of administrative law and familiarity with landlord/tenant law and practice.
- Appreciation of the range of and complexity of legal issues potentially facing low-income tenants in Ontario.
- Experience with and a preference for a team work approach to projects.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong oral communications skills, including interviewing and oral advocacy skills.
- Computer literacy.
Legal clinic or student legal aid experience; experience working for a non-profit organisation; ability to communicate in both official languages.
$67,470 annually pro-rated.
Applications must include at least two (2) references and must be received no later than 4:00 p.m., Friday, September 21, 2018. We reserve the right to extend the deadline if a suitable candidate is not found. Candidates must respond by submitting their application by fax and/or email to the attention of:
The Hiring Committee
Tenant Duty Counsel Program
55 University Avenue, Unit 1500
Toronto, ON M5J 2H7
Fax: (416) 597-5821
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.
ACTO-TDCP is an equal opportunity employer