Halton Community Legal Services
1 year contract (maternity leave) ‑ commencing November 2019
Halton Community Legal Services (HCLS) is a community legal clinic funded by Legal Aid Ontario that provides legal services to the low‑income population in Halton Region. HCLS is a registered charity and a not‑for‑profit corporation under the laws of Ontario. HCLS is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. We are committed to providing high quality legal services and responding to the needs of our community in innovative ways, through a client centered and trauma‑informed lens.
JOB TITLE: Staff Lawyer
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
SALARY: Salary and benefits in accordance with Legal Aid Ontario guidelines and clinic policies
TO APPLY: Please apply via e‑mail addressed to the Hiring Committee with a cover letter and resume by September 27, 2019 to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title "Staff Lawyer".
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Provide summary advice, brief service, referrals, advocacy for clients and representation at all levels of tribunals and court, as required;
- Deliver and develop public legal information sessions to the community, as requested;
- Engage in community development and law reform activities;
- Deliver Tenant Duty Counsel Services.
The successful candidate must:
- Be a lawyer licensed and in good standing to practice law in Ontario;
- Have an understanding of poverty in Halton and the unique issues and challenges our community experiences;
- Demonstrated ability in the areas of law in which HCLS practices (i.e. human rights, housing, social assistance, and employment);
- Have experience in community development and delivering public legal education (PLE) sessions;
- Be able to travel throughout Halton and surrounding area;
- Be able to work with clients who have complex needs, creatively problem solve, and work independently as well as part of a team.