Carrières à Aide juridique Ontario
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" – an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Community Legal Services provides free legal advice and representation to members of the community, and to Fanshawe College and Western students. We are funded by Legal Aid Ontario, the Law Foundation of Ontario, Fanshawe Student's Union, and Western's University Students Council and Faculty of Law.
The Review Counsel provides supervision and carriage of all assigned files for the clinic, in accordance with prevailing Community Legal Services (CLS) and Western University policies and procedures, and the Law Society of Upper Canada Rules of Professional Conduct. The incumbent will ensure the effective and efficient education and training of students who are assisting with their files, which will encompass the practice of Criminal Law, supplemented with a range of Housing/Landlord and Tenant, Immigration, Wills and Powers of Attorney, and other areas of law as assigned. The incumbent will organize the process flow of their files within the clinic, and will ensure that files are progressing appropriately.
- Juris Doctor (JD) in Law and licensed to practice law in Ontario
- 2 years' experience in Canadian criminal law
- Practice experience in one or more of the following areas: Housing/Landlord and Tenant, Immigration, and Wills and Powers of Attorney is preferred
- xperience working with students is preferred
- Legal clinic experience is preferred
- Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of criminal, civil, and administrative law
- Advocacy skills and knowledge in substantive and procedural areas of law
- Ability to provide guidance to assist others in solving complex problems
- Ability to establish effective routines for excellent communication with all members of the team to maximize productivity
- Verbal communication skills to translate information into easily understood terms, summarize information, and provide a rationale for action
- Positive, outgoing attitude with client service orientation
- Competency to maintain confidentiality and treat sensitive information with discretion
- Ability to handle details with a high degree of accuracy to review and revise legal documentation
- Ability to work well under pressure and handle multiple conflicting priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to apply critical thinking to evaluate information and make appropriate decisions or recommendations
- Cross-cultural competency with an ability to interact and work effectively with people from different cultures and backgrounds
- Ability and willingness to employ a consultative and collaborative approach to addressing issues and making decisions
- Personable and courteous in working relationships with colleagues, students and the public
- Ability to work both independently, taking initiative and following through on work assignments, and effectively as a member of the team to achieve clinic goals
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Familiarity with University policies and procedures preferred
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca to apply online to job reference 12540, by midnight on April 27th, 2018.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone (519) 661‑2194.