Carrières à Aide juridique Ontario
Community Engagement Worker
East Toronto Community Legal Services and Toronto East Employment and Immigration Legal Services
One year contract position
Toronto East Employment and Immigration Law Services (TEEILS) is a joint initiative of the 6 community legal clinics serving the east half of the city of Toronto. We provide low income people with legal advice, representation, public legal education and advocacy in the areas of employment and immigration law. We are seeking to fill a one year contract position, with a possibility of extension, to coordinate the outreach, public legal education, community organizing and law reform work for the TEEILS project. East Toronto Community Legal Services (ETCLS) is the lead clinic and employer for this initiative. There are currently two TEEILS legal staff providing direct legal services to individuals in employment law, and two doing the same for immigration law.
The responsibilities of the Community Engagement Worker include:
- Helping to build and sustain the TEEILS partners’ outreach work in cooperation with staff from the partner clinics
- Preparing and presenting public legal education information for immigrants and/or vulnerable workers
- Working with clinic staff to identify law reform issues related to worker’s rights and immigration law
- Support workers and immigrants to participate in systemic advocacy
- Prepare project outreach reports
Applicants should have the following qualifications:
- Experience in non-profit community organizations such as community legal clinics, settlement agencies, low income or equality–seeking groups, etc.
- Knowledge of employment and immigration issues facing low income persons
- Experience with political lobbying and systemic advocacy
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice, cultural competency, equity and inclusion
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and knowledge of social media
- Skills in group facilitation and supporting the voices of vulnerable workers and/or newcomers
- Demonstrated ability in working as a member of a team
Fluency in a second language is an asset.
Salary is range is $45,000 to $60,000 plus benefits, dependent upon experience. Applicants from historically disadvantaged groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
The deadline for applications is April 14, 2017.
Applications should be sent by email to Stewart Cruikshank, Executive Director, East Toronto Community Legal Services. Include a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for two professional references. The documents should be sent as one pdf file to email@example.com. Please use the following in your subject line: TEEILS CEW application
We thank all applicants in advance but will contact only those candidates selected for consideration.