Carrières à Aide juridique Ontario
Articling Student Position 2017/2018
Community Advocacy & Legal Centre (CALC)
Are you looking for an articling positon for 2017/2018?
The Community Advocacy & Legal Centre (CALC) is offering the opportunity for interesting and fulfilling work in Belleville and surrounding communities. We are seeking a student who is self-directed and is able to work independently as well as being an integral part of our team. You must demonstrate a commitment to social justice issues and have empathy for people living in poverty.
The CALC provides access to justice to vulnerable members of our community through quality legal services in the areas of Tenant Rights, Social Assistance, Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, Human Rights, Criminal Injuries Compensation, Employment Law, Canada Pension Plan Disability, Employment Insurance, Special Education Issues, and Consumer Law. Developing legal education materials and workshops and undertaking systemic advocacy are critical components of our work.
As the successful articling student, you will be given considerable responsibility. You must demonstrate strong organizational skills. You will work under the direction and mentorship of the clinic lawyers to:
- Undertake legal casework in all or some of the areas of law practiced at CALC
- Represent clients before tribunals and courts
- Develop and implement community development and legal education programs in partnership with community organizations
- be familiar with the areas of law practiced at CALC
- have an awareness of issues in rural and remote communities
- have access to reliable transportation to provide service throughout our large geographic area
Subject to the funding criteria for this position, the successful candidate must be:
- under age 30;
- out of school;
- a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a person who has been granted refugee status in Canada;
- legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations; and
- not in receipt of Employment Insurance (EI) benefits.
This is a full-time position with a start date in May 2016, subject to funding.
To apply please submit:
- Your covering letter, résumé and law school transcripts by 5:00 p.m. April 25, 2017 to Lynda Morgan at email@example.com, by fax: 613-966-6251, or in person at 158 George Street, Belleville, Ontario
For more information about our clinic, our work or our history, please visit our website at: www.communitylegalcentre.ca
Only those being offered an interview will be contacted.