Public proceedings of the Board
Electronic meeting of the Board on July 3, 2015
Board members present
John McCamus (Chair); Aly Alibhai; Nancy Cooper; Michelle Haigh; John Liston; James McNee; Derry Millar; Tim Murphy; James Yakimovich
1. Approval of designation and appointment of area directors for three local greater Toronto area (GTA) districts
The Chair presented, via Outlook email messaging, a briefing note indicating that in May 2014, the GTA Region was divided into three local districts. The goal was to establish a balanced allocation of resources and provide each district with sufficient means to meet local service needs.
He reported that:
- the designated area director for the GTA region had been promoted to the position of Senior Counsel, Panel Adjudication, and could no longer work as area director
- staff recommend the appointment of area directors for each of the three districts in the GTA region, pursuant to section 22(3) of the Legal Aid Services Act, effective immediately.
Via Outlook email messaging, the majority of the Board approved the following:
- designation of three districts within the GTA Region as areas pursuant to section 15 of the Legal Aid Services Act, by dividing the GTA area into the Toronto central district area, the Toronto north district area and the York-Peel-Dufferin district area
- the discharge of Maureen Hastings as area director for the GTA region
- the appointment of area directors for each of the three new areas in the GTA region, pursuant to section 22(3) of the Legal Aid Services Act, as follows:
- Toronto central district: Cynthia Harper
- Toronto north district: Tom Kelsey
- York-Peel-Dufferin district: Paula Beard