Public proceedings of the Board
Meeting of the Board of Directors on July 31, 2014
Board members present
John McCamus (Chair); Aly Alibhai, Nancy Cooper; Michelle Haigh; John Liston; James McNee; Derry Millar; Tim Murphy; James Yakimovich; Robert W. Ward, (CEO/Ex Officio)
1. Clarification of Board decision on Alternative Fee Arrangements (AFA)
On July 31, 2014, the Chair presented a briefing note which clarified the Board’s decision regarding AFA agreements as follows:
- In 2013, the Board directed LAO to proceed with the pilot, and the President and CEO would make implementation decisions.
- An update report on AFAs presented to the Board at its February 2014 meeting recommended that the proposed AFA pilot proceed as follows:
- LAO may enter into AFA agreements with sole practitioners, Firm A and other firms as suitable
- The requirement that the AFA service agreement be posted on the LAO website would be waived.
The February 2014 minutes reflect that the Board received the report, approved the proposed AFA service agreement, and waived the requirement that AFA service agreements be posted on the LAO website.
The report indicates that authorization of the President and CEO to sign AFA agreements had been omitted from the Board’s decision. Staff recommend that the Board correct this omission, and approve and authorize the President and CEO to sign Alternative Fee Arrangement (AFA) agreements with sole practitioners and law firms.
A quorum of Board members approved the recommendation, via Outlook email messaging.