Helpful Hints to Reduce Late Billing
The checklist below is meant to assist you with identifying and monitoring your billing deadlines and complying with LAO’s Late Billing Policy.
- Review your certificate and indentify the billing deadline dates
- Enter the billing deadline dates for that certificate in your software application (PC Law, Amicus Attorney) with a bring forward date 3 months in advance of your billing deadline. With MS Office Outlook, you can use the task feature to enter your billing deadline dates for each certificate and create a reoccurrence every three months.
» Outlook 2007 Tasks or Outlook 2003 Tasks
- Bill child protection accounts after the matter is completed. If there is a trial, bill an interim account within the time limits prescribed.
- Bill criminal accounts when you set the trial date.
- Bill criminal accounts after you complete each case/set of charges; do not wait until all matters are complete to bill criminal accounts.
- Interim bill small accounts to meet your billing deadline. Do not interim bill for less than $500.00 fees and/or $50.00 disbursements unless you must meet the billing deadline or are submitting a final account
- Review General Terms and Conditions for Panel Lawyers, Billing for Certificate Services
- Contact Lawyer Service Centre for assistance (416) 979-9934 or 1-866-979-9934