How to request Brydges hotline lawyer reports
Tuesday, October 6, 2015
Clients who are arrested have the right to ask the police to call the Brydges duty counsel hotline and speak with a Brydges lawyer.
If you are a private bar or LAO staff lawyer and wish to access the notes taken by that Brydges lawyer, you must put the request in writing, on firm letterhead, and fax it to 1-888-963-1035.
Include, in your request:
- your return fax number
- the client’s name
- confirmation that you represent the client
- a signed authorization from the client, directing release of the notes to you
- the LAO certificate number (there is no charge to receive the report for an LAO client) OR acknowledgement of a $40 (+HST) fee for the report (if you are representing a non-LAO client)
It is helpful if you also provide:
- the date, location and time of the arrest
- the charges against the accused
- the name of the Brydges lawyer (if known).
Requests take two to three business days to process.
After the request has been fulfilled, you will be invoiced by mail, if appropriate.
If you are an LAO lawyer and need a Brydges duty counsel report for clients who are paying for your services themselves rather than through a certificate, please send your cheque to:
Sykes Assistance Services
(attn: Legal Assistance Division)
248 Pall Mall Street
London, ON N6A 4T4
Call 1-888-225-6824 ext. 75249 to ask a duty counsel hotline representative about these reports.