Legal help for uncontested divorce expands into Durham-Frontenac District
Friday, August 28, 2015
Legal Aid Ontario (LAO) is now offering document preparation services for uncontested divorce to vulnerable clients in Durham-Frontenac District.
Uncontested divorce means that all other issues (such as property, custody, access, child and/or spousal support) have already been dealt with through either a court order or a separation agreement.
This service will assist low-income clients in moving forward with their lives and allow them to qualify for other social assistance programs, if needed.
Court filing fees are not covered by LAO. Low income applicants may qualify for a waiver of fees and LAO staff will assist with preparing the fee waiver request form. If the waiver is not granted, the court filing fees total a little under $500.00 and are payable by the client.
Clients must live in either Durham Region, City of Kawartha Lakes, or any of the following counties: Peterborough, Haliburton, Northumberland, Hastings, Prince Edward, Lennox and Addington, and Frontenac. They must also:
- meet Legal Aid Ontario’s duty counsel financial eligibility criteria
- have been separated for at least a year
- be a resident of Ontario for at least a year (or client’s spouse has been a resident for at least a year) AND
- meet at least one of the following special circumstances:
- There is a history of domestic abuse;
- The client has a letter from an immigration lawyer stating that the client requires a divorce for immigration purposes;
- The client needs a divorce to meet a requirement of his/her religion;
- As a result of another relationship, the client is pregnant;
- The client requires a divorce under certain social programs (such as Old Age Pension or the Canada Pension Plan) to be eligible for benefits.
Oshawa Family Law Service Centre
111 Simcoe Street North, 2nd floor, Suite 200, Oshawa, L1G 4S4
Please call ahead to make an appointment.
In all the Family Law Information Centres listed below, you can drop by during the designated office hours listed below. No appointment is needed.
Family Law Information Centre - Kingston Courthouse
469 Montreal St., Kingston, ON K7K 3H9
Office hours: Monday & Tuesday 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.; Thursday 12 noon – 4 p.m.;
Friday 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Family Law Information Centre - Belleville Courthouse
15 Bridge Street W., Belleville ON K8P 0C7
Tuesday 12:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Family Law Information Centre - Napanee Courthouse
41 Dundas St. W., Napanee ON K7R 1Z5
Wednesday and Friday 10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Family Law Information Centre - Cobourg (Northumberland County) Courthouse
860 William St., Cobourg ON K9A 3A9
Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
Family Law Information Centre - Peterborough Courthouse
470 Water St., Peterborough ON K9H 3M3
Advice counsel times when lawyers are available:
Monday, Tuesday and Friday 9:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Family Law Information Centre - Lindsay Courthouse
440 Kent St. W., Lindsay ON K9V 6K2
Monday 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Thursday 2 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.; Friday 9:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.