LAO increases coverage for RPD matters and adds ministerial intervention as discretionary factor
Posted on: Wednesday, July 31, 2013
On a one-year interim basis beginning August 1, 2013, LAO will pay up to two hours for preparation for each subsequent sitting at the RPD, and up to two hours for preparation of written submissions.
An account is eligible for payment only if the preparation for subsequent sitting or preparation of written submissions relate to a hearing held on or after Dec. 16, 2012.
LAO will apply this eligibility criteria to accounts submitted after August 1, as well as to accounts with:
- settlements pending in the LSP inventory
- reviews pending in the LSP inventory
- review requests if submitted within 60 days of payment
The following are not eligible for payment:
- your preparation for a subsequent hearing date and written submissions relate to a hearing date prior to Dec. 16, 2012
- your account was settled prior to June 1 (more than 60 days prior to implementation) or a review was completed prior to August 1 and you are seeking retroactive consideration.
For eligible accounts in inventory, Lawyer Payments staff will process payment of up to two hours, provided that:
- your dockets capture time spent on preparation for a subsequent sitting or written submissions, and
- you provide a copy of the notice of hearing for a subsequent sitting or a copy of your written submissions by sending these documents to LAO through Legal Aid Online
As of August 1, for eligible accounts, counsel can request a tariff authorization of the District Office for the 2 hours by:
- completing a short tariff authorization form located on the website, and
- faxing the form to the District Office where the certificate was issued
Before starting to bill the account, please check the portal to ensure the authorization has been added to your certificate. Attach a copy of your written submissions or notice of hearing to your online account. Following these procedures will ensure faster payment.
Please note that you need to request a tariff authorization for preparation for each subsequent sitting if there is more than one.
If the amount of time to prepare written submissions or to prepare for a subsequent attendance exceeds two hours, discretion may be requested and will be assessed against the clarified discretion criteria. Please use the discretion request form.
Ministerial Intervention & Discretion
Ministerial intervention has been added as a discretionary factor. LAO will ensure “ministerial intervention” is identified in the discretion request criteria and requests for a discretionary increase based on ministerial intervention processed accordingly.
Please use the discretion request form.
For questions, please contact the Lawyer Service Centre, 416-979-9934, or 1-866-979-9934.