The verdict is in: amending certificates for criminal matters on Legal Aid Online saves time and effort
Posted on: Thursday, November 15, 2012
More than half the active criminal lawyers on legal aid panels used the latest electronic submission process on Legal Aid Online to request changes on certificates related to criminal matters within its first year.
This convenient Legal Aid Online feature enables lawyers to fast-track:
- amendments: add new charges to a criminal certificate or to change the charges currently on a certificate
- backdating certificates: changing the effective date of a criminal certificate so lawyers can bill from the date they started representing the client, rather than from the date the certificate was issued
- additional hours for matters involving Gladue principles or for clients with mental health issues
- bail reviews before the courts
Between the inception of this process on Sept. 1, 2011 and Aug. 27, 2012, 1,191 criminal lawyers successfully submitted 20,000 requests (and received LAOís decisions) on changes to their certificates. These included 17,774 amendments, 1,248 requests to backdate their certificateís effective date, 835 requests for Gladue authorizations or for clients with mental health issues and 490 bail reviews.
The process not only saves time, it replaces the cumbersome need to fill in forms manually and then fax or mail paperwork.
Plus, lawyers donít need to wait to receive a letter or fax to learn LAOís decision. They receive LAOís decision on the request through an immediate email or text message, and/or through an immediate posting on Legal Aid Online.
Step-by-step to submitting a criminal amendment request
- Go to Legal Aid Onlineís Solicitor Portal home page.
- Click on the portalís Certificate Amendment / Authorization page.
- Select the criminal certificate you want to amend.
- Access the form for the amendment request option you need.
- Complete the form online.
- Electronically submit to LAO.
For further information on these enhancements, contact the Lawyer Service Center at (416) 979-9934 or 1-866-979-9934.