Legal Aid Online
Legal Aid Online user agreement
Please make sure that you read the User Agreement very carefully before you start using Legal Aid Online. Your "sign-in" to Legal Aid Online constitutes consent and acceptance of the User Agreement.
The website, Legal Aid Online, is provided by Legal Aid Ontario (LAO) as a service to permit users to electronically submit accounts to Legal Aid Ontario. It is intended for the use of authorized users of Legal Aid Online. By using the service, you accept and agree to the terms and conditions set out in this agreement.
Subject to the terms and conditions in this agreement, LAO will:
- Provide the service to users through this portal site, the World Wide Web with the URL www.legalaidonline.on.ca;
- Use reasonable efforts to provide access to this service seven days a week and 18 hours a day, subject to maintenance, repair, support and system updates;
- Process accounts filed through the service in a timely manner;
- Maintain privacy of personal information as set out below;
- Provide users access to the website with individual, unique user names and passwords, widely accessible training information and a Lawyer Service Desk.
Submission of Accounts
- All accounts submitted through the portal must be submitted in accordance with the Legal Aid Tariff.
- By submitting an account, you represent and warrant that, as the acknowledging lawyer, you are responsible for ensuring the accuracy of the contents of the account and have:
- reviewed the account before submitting it to LAO;
- performed the legal services billed for;
- made reasonable efforts to ensure that legal fees and disbursements were reasonable and necessary;
- billed all disbursements strictly in accordance with the Tariff and Billing Handbook or in accordance with specific authorization from LAO; and
- you are entitled to receive payment according to the Legal Aid Services Act and its regulations and schedules.
- LAO may require you to provide proof and justification of all items included in an account, including production of time-keeping and accounting records.
- Some accounts will be chosen at random for Post-Payment Examination, and lawyers will be required to provide LAO with account details.
- By using this service, you agree to accept responsibility and liability for all transactions or activities that occur under your account.
- Lawyers should take precautions to make sure accounts submitted are virus-free.
- Electronically submitted attachments are considered copies and if required, you may be required to submit originals.
Restrictions on Use of Materials and Software
All contents of this /website are the property of Legal Aid Ontario and are protected by Canadian and international copyright laws.
While every effort is made to ensure that the information and materials contained in this site are accurate, including text, graphics and other items, they are provided on an "as is" basis. LAO does not warrant the accuracy, adequacy, timeliness, or completeness of this information and materials and expressly disclaims liability for errors or omissions in this information and materials. No warranty of any kind, implied, express, or statutory is given in conjunction with the information and materials.
Limitation of Liability
Under no circumstances, including but not limited to negligence, shall Legal Aid Ontario or its employees be liable for any incidental, special or consequential damages that result from the use of, or the inability to use, the software or other materials in the site.
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Statement
- Payment of accounts
- Post-Payment Examination of accounts
- Investigations by LAO's Investigations Department and/or by the Complaints Department
- Provision of support services to users
- Statistical information and analysis
The information provided may be disclosed to LAO staff for the purposes described above or for a consistent purpose. Information provided is also subject to disclosure pursuant to an access request under FIPPA. As the information provided is generally also the personal information of the legal aid applicant, disclosure will generally be available to the legal aid applicant, subject to limited exceptions set out in FIPPA.
Although Legal Aid Ontario's security efforts are generally consistent with industry practice, your complete privacy, confidentiality and security associated with any communications cannot be guaranteed. Therefore, Legal Aid Ontario will not be responsible or liable for any loss of privacy, disclosure of information, damage, harm or loss that may result from your transmission of any information in connection with this site.
Use of this service constitutes your consent to information being collected, used and disclosed in accordance with this statement.
For further information about the collection, use and disclosure of personal information, contact the FIPPA Co-ordinator at:
- 416-979-1446 or 1-800-668-8258 ext. 4706
- 40 Dundas Street West, Suite 200, Toronto On - M5G 2C2
- Fax: 416-979-7338
Legal Aid Ontario provides an environment that takes measures to protect the security of your personal and accounts information. Legal Aid Ontario has taken reasonable efforts to ensure users' and clients' security and privacy. Our policies prevent us from disclosing information relating to that security. Users should be aware that the Internet is not a fully secure medium and neither the privacy of your communications nor the privacy of other site activities can be guaranteed. The nature of Internet communications means that your communications may be susceptible to data corruption, unauthorized access, interception and delays.
Legal Aid Ontario may modify, alter, or update this Agreement at any time with or without notice. Please review the link on a regular basis for any such changes.
Users will indemnify and hold Legal Aid Ontario and its officers and staff harmless from and against all claims, liability, and expenses arising out of the use of or your breach of any provision of this agreement.