Information for criminal lawyers on Legal Aid Ontario panels or working on legal aid cases.
New process for counsel in-court certificate applications
Starting October 9, 2018 LAO will allow lawyers to make same-day legal aid applications for clients who are in custody and in court.
To apply, you must be in court and ready to move ahead with a meaningful appearance like a bail hearing or resolution.
Beginning September 17 2018, for a three-month trial period, we will be granting authorizations for bail review applications with a medium or strong chance of success
You can submit bail review applications via Legal Aid Online.
Contact Simone Bern, Criminal policy counsel, at email@example.com.
LAO hotline for people in custody:
Clients can call 866‑883‑9665 from jail for certificate applications or other LAO services.
Accounts and billing
- All you need to bill us for services.
- Plea comprehension inquiry form facilitates informed guilty pleas and protects both LAO clients and lawyers. Visit the news section of the LAO website for more information.
- Lawyer inmate request for legal aid service. Application form for the Toronto South Detention Centre project.
- For all other forms, visit our forms library.
- A roadmap for certificate and duty counsel lawyers. All you need to know to do legal aid work.
- Criminal law panel standards. What you need to be admitted to and remain on the criminal panel.
Projects and programs
- Case management for complex criminal cases likely to cost more than $8 K.
- Bail Strategy, our commitment to making bail faster and fairer.
- Toronto South Detention Centre project. If you have clients in this facility, you can now submit legal aid applications on their behalf.