Getting legal help
Family law service centres
Legal Aid Ontario (LAO) can help if you're separated and seeking child support or experiencing domestic violence or trying to get custody or access to your children.
We have a growing number of family law service centres across the province that can help with a number of family matters.
We can help with:
- family court documents
- support orders from the Family Responsibility Office, which collects, distributes and enforces court-ordered child and spousal support payments
- procedural motions like when you're trying to serve your claim and the other person has either moved and you can't find them, or you think the person knows you're trying to serve the claim and is avoiding you
- support where the other person lives outside of Ontario
- drafting a declaration—which is a written statement that you sign and declare to be true before an authorised witness—for Ontario Disability Support Program or Ontario Works
- in limited cases, uncontested divorces
- referrals to lawyers who can provide advice
- mediation and settlement conferences
- referrals to other social service agencies
For more information
To find a family law service centre near you, call us toll-free at 1-800-668-8258 from Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.