Getting legal help

You are charged with a crime

You might go to jail

You may qualify for a legal aid certificate if you’re financially eligible and you need a lawyer to represent you in one of these situations:

A serious crime does not mean a crime where the Crown is seeking a non-court alternative like diversion. Beyond these situations, Legal Aid has the discretion, on a case-by-case basis, to issue certificates in these situations:


Call us toll-free at 1-800-668-8258.

If possible, please have available: