Getting legal help

Tenant duty counsel

Tenant duty counsel are lawyers and community legal workers who can assist you at most Landlord and Tenant Board locations across the province. You must be financially eligible for some types of duty counsel assistance.

Tenant duty counsel can:

  • give advice about legal rights, obligations and the tribunal process
  • help work out settlements with landlords
  • review documents, and help prepare forms
  • provide referrals for other services
  • assist tenants at hearings with procedures, such as urgent review applications and requests for adjournments.

If tenant duty counsel is available at your Landlord and Tenant Board hearing location, you can see them before your hearing. You do not need to make an appointment, but try to arrive at least 30 minutes before your hearing. Tenant duty counsel give priority to tenants with eviction hearings.

Community legal clinics

A community legal clinic may be able to help with your housing legal matter, depending on the type of problem, and your financial situation.

Other resources:

For more information on Housing (Landlord/Tenant) issues please refer to the links below:

Tenant resources

  • The Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO)
    Defends Ontarios low-income renters, co-op members and the homeless. Much of ACTOs advocacy involves test-case litigation, lobbying the government and developing housing policy.
  • The Federation of Metro Tenants' Associations
    Runs a hotline for tenant issues. They also publish information brochures, including the Tenant Survival Manual, and have a tenant outreach program.
  • Housing Law
    Read about eviction, rental agreements, maintenance and more. From Your Legal Rights.
  • Human Rights Legal Support
    The Human Rights Legal Support Centre offers free legal services to people throughout Ontario who believe their human rights under the Code have been violated and who want to file an application to the Tribunal. The Centre's services range from legal advice and assistance in filing an application, to representation at mediations and hearings before the Tribunal.

Resources for tenants and landlords

  • Landlord and Tenant Board
    Resolves disputes between landlords and tenants and provides information about the The Residential Tenancies Act and rights and obligations under the Act. Requests can be made to review an order under certain conditions.
  • Ontario Human Rights Commission
    The Commission is an agency established to administer Ontario's Human Rights Code, which protects people against discrimination in employment, accomodation, goods, services and and facilities, and membership in vocational association and trade unions.
  • Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
    Ensures availability, accessibility and choice of housing funding to Canadians. The key Canadian source of reliable and objective housing information.