Getting legal help
A wide range of services are available through Legal Aid Ontario’s toll-free number. Dialing 1-800-668-8258 connects you to a client service representative who can assist with your legal aid matter. Services available over the phone include:
- information on the range of legal aid services available to eligible clients
- legal and financial eligibility criteria
- legal aid office locations
- phone numbers for agencies, shelters and community legal clinics
If you have a criminal or family law issue, you may be able to speak with a lawyer for up to 20 minutes of summary advice and information. When you call Legal Aid Ontario, the client service representative will determine if you are eligible for summary advice.
Applications for the certificate program
You can apply for Legal Aid Ontario’s certificate program over the phone. In order to be eligible for the certificate program, you must qualify financially, and your legal matter must be one that LAO covers.
Staff can refer eligible clients to one of Legal Aid Ontario’s many services, or other social service agencies, including:
- duty counsel
- community legal clinics
- Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) or Ontario Works
- Family Responsibilities Office
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada
- Ontario Labour Relations Board
- The Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC)
Legal Aid Ontario is not responsible for the content on external websites.