Halton Community Legal Services
Halton Community Legal Services (HCLS) is a community legal clinic funded by Legal Aid Ontario that provides legal services to the low‑income population in Halton Region. HCLS is a registered charity and a not‑for‑profit corporation under the laws of Ontario. HCLS is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors.
JOB TITLE: Office Manager
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
SALARY: Salary will be based on relevant experience, and be within the range of average salaries of Office Managers of other LAO‑funded clinics.
TO APPLY: Please apply via e-mail addressed to the Hiring Committee with a cover letter and resume by December 21, 2018 to: email@example.com. Please use the subject title "Office Manager".
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Office Manager assists with the planning, development and implementation of clinic services and the management of clinic finances. The Office Manager provides direct administrative support to the Executive Director and the Board of Directors and is responsible for the day‑to‑day administration of clinic services.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Board of Directors
- Provide all support work necessary to meet the organizational and administrative needs of the Board of Directors, including delivering correspondence, preparing draft minutes for review, and following up on action items
- Coordinate and prepare materials for Board Meetings
- Attend Board meetings, as required
- Provide regular reports (e.g. statistical, financial, personnel) to HCLS's funders
- Ensure implementation of and compliance with all office policies, procedures and protocols
- Maintenance of HCLS's internal filing systems.
- Ensure that the physical premises of the clinic, including all office equipment, is maintained
- Manage contract and price negotiations with office vendors, service providers and office lease
- Liaise with facility management vendors, including cleaning, catering and security services
- Review and approve supply requisitions
- Ensure processing of payroll and bank deposits
- Help prepare annual budgets, including project budgets
- With HCLS's Bookkeeper, ensure that invoices are paid, account books are accurate and up‑to‑date and that financial reports are made in a timely manner
- Maintain accurate financial records to assist with preparations for HCLS's annual audit
- Help prepare required documents to comply with charity and not‑for‑profit corporation requirements
- Assist with recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees
- Manage personnel files with respect to such things as employment contracts, benefit packages, pension plans, vacation schedules, records of sick leave, and lieu time
- Assist with coaching, counselling, and disciplining employees
- Supervise the work of support staff
- Address employees queries regarding office management issues
Information Technology (IT)
- Provide expertise and advice on IT issues that affect operations, including direction to staff regarding IT changes or disruptions
- Provide direction regarding outsourced and/or in‑house IT systems, including specialized case management
- Assist with website maintenance
Strategic Planning, Fundraising and Development
- Help organize fundraising activities; help prepare grant proposals
- Facilitate and coordinate the strategic planning process
- Plan and implement resource, management, IT and administrative initiatives to support strategic plan
- Experience as an office manager, front office manager or administrative assistant
- Experience with/understanding of charitable and not‑for‑profit organizations, preferably a Legal Clinic
- Excellent written and verbal communication ability
- IT troubleshooting skills and proficiency in MS Office (MS Excel and MS Outlook, in particular)
- Knowledge of accounting and/or financial management
- Ability to utilize analytical, interpretive, evaluative and constructive thinking
- Planning, organizing, and project management skills
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi‑task and prioritize work
- Strong interpersonal skills focused on building and maintaining positive relationships
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills