Community legal worker
South Asian Legal Clinic of Ontario (SALCO)
Full-time, permanent position
The South Asian Legal Clinic of Ontario is a community legal clinic funded by Legal Aid Ontario (LAO). We provide legal advice and representation to low-income South Asians in the Greater Toronto Area, including, but not limited to, clients from Bangladesh, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, the Caribbean, and other people of South Asian origin. Areas of law practiced include Immigration, Income Maintenance (Ontario Works, Ontario Disability Support Program, Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security, and Employment Insurance), Employment Law, and Tenants Rights.
SALCO is seeking a full-time permanent Community Legal Worker. SALCO Community Legal Workers are expected to provide a mix of services including legal work (summary advice, brief services, and/or representation at Tribunals in various areas of poverty law), community development, public legal education, and law reform.
Salary will be commensurate to experience and subject to Legal Aid Ontario funding for the position. The position includes extended benefits and an annual RRSP contribution.
- Ability to speak Tamil fluently
- Demonstrated legal experience and/or training (licensed paralegal is an asset but not a requirement);
- Demonstrated knowledge of social justice issues and systemic barriers to the South Asian community / Understanding of issues of significance to the low-income South Asian community;
- Experience working in an advocacy, leadership and public policy role;
- Experience and/or involvement in public legal education, community development initiatives and law reform activities, including with Tamil communities;
- Excellent analytical and plain language skills as demonstrated through the preparation of workshops, public education resources and presentations;
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, writing and communication skills;
Please apply via e-mail with a cover letter, resume, and 2 reference letters by Friday, October 12, 2018 to:
SALCO Hiring Committee
South Asian Legal Clinic of Ontario
106A - 45 Sheppard Avenue East, Toronto, Ontario, M2N 5W9
We welcome applications from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve, including those who might need accommodation.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interview will be contacted.