Income Security Advocacy Centre (ISAC)
Permanent full time
Ce document est disponible en anglais et en français à www.incomesecurity.org.
ISAC is a specialty legal clinic working systemically to advance the income security of low-income communities in Ontario around income security programs and low wage precarious workers. ISAC offers a unique opportunity to practice appellate, Charter and human rights litigation as part of a team that also engages in policy advocacy and community organizing. We are governed by a diverse community Board of Directors that includes persons from racialized, Indigenous, disability and low-income communities, with representation from across the province. For more information on the work of ISAC, please visit www.incomesecurity.org.
The primary role of the staff lawyer is to undertake strategic litigation aimed at expanding the legal rights, remedies and benefits available to people relying on income security programs and low income workers. The lawyer also participates in the policy advocacy and community development work of the clinic. They work collaboratively with other advocacy and legal staff in identifying and implementing law reform strategies to address the identified legal and income security needs of the client community.
- Law Society of Ontario membership or eligibility for membership.
- Strong litigation skills. Experience in appellate court and test case litigation an asset.
- Demonstrated analytical skills and the ability to identify and develop opportunities for systemic legal challenges and interventions, and to apply human rights or Charter analysis.
- Experience in social assistance law, CPP Disability, Employment Insurance law, or employment law.
- Experience in leading or facilitating a teamwork approach to projects.
- Superior written and oral communications skills.
- More than two years' experience.
- Candidates with advanced French language skills will be preferred.
The salary range for this position is $75,000 ‑ $85,000, and will reflect year of call to the bar. A group benefits package and RRSP are also included. This position reports to the Director of Advocacy & Legal Services, and is located at ISAC's downtown Toronto office. Travel within Ontario is required from time to time.
Applications should be submitted by email or to the address below, addressed to The Hiring Committee. Please include your name in the email subject line.
Please include the following in a single MS Word or PDF file (if submitting through email).
- Cover letter supporting how your qualifications make you an ideal candidate for this position (one page maximum)
- Current resume (two pages maximum)
- Contact info for three references
Sunday, September 16, 2018, 11:59pm
By mail or in person:
Income Security Advocacy Centre
ISAC is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We welcome applications from people who are reflective of our diverse community, and from communities who have historically been marginalized. We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities to employment, including access to jobs and accommodations during employment as required, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.