Project Outreach Lawyer
Halton Community Legal Services
- Job opening: Project Outreach Lawyer
- Project title: Newcomer Conversations: Learning Canadian Law
- Position: Contract for October 2018 to July 2021
- Location: Oakville, Ontario with travel throughout Halton Region and vicinity
- Salary range: $70,000 to $80,000 commensurate with experience
- Application deadline: September 21, 2018
Summary of position
Halton Community Legal Services (HCLS) is a community legal clinic funded by Legal Aid Ontario that provides legal services to the low-income population in Halton Region. We have received external funding, in part, to conduct a project to develop and hold a series of workshops for newcomers to Canada covering legal topics that will increase and enhance their settlement outcomes. We are hiring an outreach lawyer as part of this project.
Working closely with the Project Manager, Project Advisory Committee and Participant Planning Committee, the successful candidate will:
- Identify, develop, and deliver a public legal education curriculum for newcomers, in consultation with the Project Advisory Committee and Participant Planning Committee;
- Develop, recruit, and/or build relationships with newcomers and the newcomer service provider community;
- Provide summary advice and brief service to newcomer clients;
- Assist with data collection and analysis;
- Assist with technical report writing, where required;
- Assist with all administrative tasks and project reporting requirements;
- General office and administrative duties as required.
The successful candidate must:
- Be a lawyer licensed and in good standing to practice law in Ontario;
- Have an understanding of newcomers and the unique issues and challenges they face in Halton;
- Have an understanding of the areas of law in which HCLS practices and in which newcomers face challenges in (i.e., family law, employment law, human rights, housing and social assistance);
- Have a working knowledge of the Canadian immigration system;
- Have experience in community development and in developing and conducting public legal education (PLE) sessions;
- Be able to travel throughout Halton and surrounding areas;
- Have the ability to synthesize research data and write reports.
Please submit a cover letter and resume by September 21, 2018, citing "Outreach Lawyer - Newcomer Project" in the subject line by email to:
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.