Careers at LAO
Litigation staff lawyer
Justice for Children and Youth
12 month contract position - Parental leave - end of June 2018 - June 2019
Justice for Children and Youth works to protect and advance the legal rights and dignity of children and youth. We are a specialty clinic funded primarily by Legal Aid Ontario, and one of the only organizations in Canada focused exclusively on the legal practice of child and youth rights across a range of legal subjects.
JFCY is looking for a litigation lawyer to fill a contract position—covering a parental leave. This lawyer will respond to telephone inquiries from across Ontario and provide direct representation to young people primarily within the GTA; and may be involved in the clinic's test case litigation, public legal education, community outreach and law reform initiatives.
The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to work well in a team environment with a commitment to anti-oppression and social justice values, and a commitment to the protection and advancement of child and youth rights.
- Lawyer Licensee of the Law Society of Upper Canada
- Commitment to social justice and respect for the rights of children and youth
- Strong legal and advocacy skills
- 3-5 years litigation experience and a demonstrated ability to learn new areas of law
- Demonstrated skill in one or more of: youth criminal justice, education, human rights, constitutional, health, child welfare, family, or poverty law as they relate to the rights of children and youth
- Interest in all areas of law practised by the clinic
- Strong written and oral communication skills, organizational and administrative skills
- Experience with youth outside law
- Ability to provide legal services in French
- Ability to communicate in a language other than English
- Policy development / law reform experience
Salary and benefits are in accordance with funding from Legal Aid Ontario, based on year of call.
Applications, accompanied by a writing sample, must be submitted to Karien Gibson, Office Manager at Justice for Children and Youth by email only at firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Tuesday, May 22 2018.
No phone calls please, only candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
Justice for Children and Youth is committed to diversity and anti-oppression, and is an equal opportunity employer.