Careers at LAO
Legal Assistance of Windsor
Do you share our passion for social justice?
Join our team! Legal Assistance of Windsor is a busy urban legal and social work clinic seeking a lawyer interested in challenging and meaningful work. The clinic practice is in poverty law, including landlord & tenant, Ontario Works and Ontario Disability Support Program, employment rights and refugee law. This twenty one (21) month contract position is the lead for an initiative to improve access to justice for people with intellectual disabilities in Windsor-Essex County. If you want to work hard to serve the community in a collaborative environment, then you need to apply.
- Facilitate access for clients with intellectual disabilities in Windsor-Essex to the provision legal information on substitute decision making, guardianships, powers of attorney, neglect and abuse issues
- Oversee the development of collaborative workshops, videos and printed materials explaining legal rights for people with intellectual disabilities.
- Provide respectful and appropriate clinic law services to people with intellectual disabilities and supervision to law and social work students in the provision of services;
- Foster good work relationships and collaboration amongst agencies in Windsor and Essex County providing services to people with intellectual disabilities.
The successful candidate will be a lawyer with 2 to 5 years experience in the law practice of substitute decision making, guardianship, and power of attorney.The person will have an understanding of and commitment to social justice and an interest in serving vulnerable clients. The candidate also thrives in a collaborative work environment and enjoys working in a multi discipline work environment.
Experience and skills:
- Experience in the provision of legal services in substitute decision making, guardianship and power of attorney.
- Knowledge of legal aid services, the broader justice sector and social service agencies that provide services to people with intellectual disabilities in Windsor-Essex.
- Proven ability to build relationships with the community and gain trust in a respectful manner.
- Experience in the supervision to law and social work students.
- A background in community outreach.
- Ability to provide clients with non-judgmental and supportive legal services and advocacy.
- Ability to work as a member of a team in a busy poverty law clinic.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written skills.
- Ability to plan and conduct educational workshops.
- Ability to plan and conduct workshops/learning opportunities for vulnerable members of the community
Please submit resume no later than 4:00 pm Thursday, April 19 2018 to:
c/o Laura Pratt, Legal Assistance of Windsor
443 Ouellette, 2nd Floor
Windsor, ON N9A 4J2
or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. All resumes to be held in strictest confidence.