Careers at LAO
West End Legal Services of Ottawa
West End Legal Services of Ottawa is a community legal clinic funded by Legal Aid Ontario providing legal services to low-income, culturally and ethnically diverse residents of the west end of Ottawa.
To provide legal advice and representation in areas of law dealing with Social Benefits (ODSP - Ontario Disability Support Program and OW - Ontario Works) and residential rental housing.
Main duties of the job:
- Providing legal advice to callers on the telephone
- Providing brief services such as statutory declarations, internal reviews and appeals
- Representing clients before courts and administrative tribunals
- Participate in public legal education, law reform and community development initiatives
Required skills & experiences:
- Licensed and member in good standing with Law Society of Upper Canada
- Strong commitment to social justice issues essential
- Experience working in a community legal clinic or working with disadvantaged individuals and groups is preferred
- Effective advocacy skills (interviewing, researching, drafting, negotiating, and advocacy)
- Ability to work in both French and English required
- Excellent analytical, organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently, effectively and co-operatively
- Previous experience in income maintenance issues (ODSP and OW) required
- Experience in Landlord & Tenant issues an asset
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office, databases & Internet required
Please send resume & references to:
West End Legal Services
1301 Richmond Road
Ottawa ON K2B 7Y4
Fax: (613) 596-3364
Email: email@example.com (please indicate your name in the subject line)
CLOSING DATE: March 27, 2017 @ 4:30 p.m.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.