Careers at LAO
Staff research and policy lawyer
Advocacy Centre for the Elderly
We are a community legal-aid clinic that specializes in elder law. We seek a Staff Research and Policy Lawyer who will be responsible for legal research and policy development and for legal advice and representation to low-income seniors who would not otherwise have access to justice. Please visit us at www.acelaw.ca.
As a Staff Research and Policy Lawyer you would:
- Undertake legal research in support of law-reform and policy development projects, litigation support, media relations and community development activities;
- Lead the preparation within a team environment of briefs, comments and submissions on legislative and other policy-related issues;
- Edit the ACE Newsletter and other clinic publications;
- Provide summary telephone advice, referrals and general legal information;
- Provide legal advice and representation to low-income seniors on a wide range of elderlaw matters, with an emphasis on hospital care, long-term care homes, home-care and other health-related legal issues;
- Supervise students and volunteers in clinic activities;
- Act as a public speaker/conference presenter on elder-law issues;
- Participate in community-development activities; and,
- Assist and participate in the ongoing work of the clinic.
We would welcome your application if you are:
- A lawyer in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada;
- An excellent legal researcher and writer;
- Experienced in health-law issues;
- Committed to the empowerment of older adults; and,
- Able to work in a team environment and have excellent interpersonal skills.
In addition to the foregoing required qualifications, advanced French-language skills are an asset.
Please respond by email with a brief statement of your interest and qualifications, attaching your resume, references and two writing samples in confidence to Graham Webb, Executive Director, Advocacy Centre for the Elderly at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 17, 2017.