Community legal aid clinics
Average and median salaries in community legal clinics and Legal Aid Ontario
Posted - May 2015
Community legal clinics are independent non-profit corporations funded by LAO to provide poverty law services. They are governed by an independent board of directors who are representative of the community they serve.
Clinic boards are fully responsible for the governance and management of their clinics including establishing compensation systems for their staff.
LAO’s Clinic Compensation Funding Framework implemented in April 2013 is consistent with the clinic boards’ responsibilities and accountabilities to determine compensation and annual pay increases for their staff.
The Clinic Compensation Funding Framework provides clinic boards with the financial flexibility to manage their compensation pressures as clinics keep base funding compensation savings resulting from staff turnover.
LAO caps the compensation funding to the maximum of comparable positions within LAO.
The following charts show the average and median salaries of LAO and clinic staff for these comparable positions:
- average salaries for a clinic executive director (ED) is $131,500 compared to a LAO director position, which is on average, $131,200.
- average salary for clinic lawyer positions is $89,100 compared to LAO staff lawyer positions, which average $87,700.
- average salary for office manager positions in the clinic system is $66,400, which is $5,500 higher than LAO S4 positions (which includes legal aid workers, executive assistants and financial analysts), which average at $60,900.
- average salary for clinic community legal workers (CLWs) is $72,900 compared to LAO SPG1 (which includes paralegal positions), which average at $73,100.
- average salary for clinic support staff positions is $51,400, which is $3,200 higher than the LAO administrative position, which averages at $48,200.
|LAO funding max ($'000)||Average salary ($'000)||Median salary ($'000)||LAO comparator||LAO range ($'000)||Average salary ($'000)||Median salary ($'000)|
|EDs||$142.0||$131.5||$131.5||Director||$120.0 to $142.0||$131.2||$130.3|
|Staff lawyers||$115.0||$89.1||$83.3||Lawyers||(2015) $70.0 to $115.0
(2016) $76.0 to $115.0
|Office manager||$68.6||$66.4||$64.4||S4-Legal aid workers, executive assistants, financial analysts||$46.0 to $68.6||$60.9||$64.5|
|CLWs||$83.0||$72.9||$72.2||SPG1 – paralegals, statisticians, HR advisers, senior financial analysts||$55.0 to $83.0||$73.1||$73.2|
|Admin staff||$50.2||$51.4||$51.2||OA4-Admin assistant-unionized||$43.4 to $50.2||$48.2||$50.2|
|Year of call|
|Average salary ($'000)||Median salary ($'000)||Average salary ($'000)||Median salary ($'000)|
|2004 and earlier||$99.9||$94.4||$99.2||$95.9|
Note 1: LAO relied on information provided by the clinics in their 2015/16 funding applications. The clinic salaries exclude compensation increases for the 2014/15 fiscal year; LAO salaries averages include the 2014/15 increases. Salaries include pay equity payments.
Note 2: After the first five years with LAO, staff lawyers move through the salary ranges based on performance, not year-of-call.